Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Recipe Favorites: Pumpkin Bread!

Thanks to my good friend Jill for sending this to me... :)

It has been a relatively cool summer here in the Northeast (although it's supposed to be in the mid to high 80's this week, so summer apparently is making a comeback.  Boo), so my mind has been on my very favorite season of the year: Fall!  Last weekend, I made zucchini bread with a zucchini from a friend's garden, which now has me craving one of my favorite recipes and a definite crowd pleaser- my pumpkin bread.

I do not come up with my own recipes from start to finish.  I am not nearly that creative or that much of a foodie.  Rather, I usually make something as written, and then tweak it from there to cater more to my tastes as well as my family's.  So that is where this pumpkin bread recipe came from.  I found the original years ago on www.allrecipes.com, and after reading the user comments and knowing what I know about baking, I use this recipe time and time again.

A word of warning about this bread.  The first time I made it, it came out of the oven hard.  Like, really hard.  I was so disappointed as it smelled delicious while baking in the oven.  I wrapped it in plastic wrap and set it on top of my microwave, dejected after making what seemed like another bogus recipe.  But the next day, like magic, the bread was moist and flavorful.  Hurray!  So I would suggest making this a day ahead of when you want people to eat it.  Something happens when you let it sit overnight and it ends up being delicious the next day.

The other issue that this bread presents is baking time.  I always always end up having to leave it in the oven longer than the recipe calls for.  The top of the bread is always a little gooey, so I generally add 7-10 minutes onto the time it calls for.  (I set the timer as it states to in the recipe and then add on as needed)

I hope you enjoy this recipe.  I will post others from time to time.  Again, I am no foodie, but I do love to bake and have some pretty good recipes, especially my mom's Christmas cookies when that time of year comes :D  

Pumpkin Bread

15 oz pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie mix)
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (I've heard some people do 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
2/3 cup water
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine above ingredients in large mixing bowl.

3 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (I like cinnamon so sometimes I put a full 3 tsp in)
1/8 teaspoon cloves (I am not a fan of cloves, you could add more if you like the flavor)
1/2 teaspoon ginger

Combine dry ingredients together.  Add to original ingredient mixture and mix until blended.  Grease 2 loaf pans (I use Pam Baking Spray).  Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment